Saturday, November 24, 2012

Lessons Learned: Making a Live Worship DVD

Courtesy of
http://www.virgin.com/media-and-mobile/news/suffering-from-digital-stress
Recently, our church had a Praise and Worship night where we had professionals come in and record the music with the intentions of making a CD to sell. It was also decided that we make a live DVD as well with multiple cameras. The audio recording went well but the video recording not so much. I am one to plan out my shots with each camera in mind but when working with three completely different kinds of cameras it does not always come out as planned. We used our Sony HD prosumer camera, a Kodak "pocket camera" and an iPhone to get the shots. The plan would have worked since the iPhone 4s surprisingly takes good HD video as does the Kodak camera but there were two factors I did not consider that became a nightmare in post-production. The first factor simply being the human aspect and the second factor being the technological differences involved with the cameras.

I have learned that it is important to train good people to work the camera in media ministry because there will always be someone that will back out at the last possible minute and a good backup needs to be handy. During this particular event I had two people back out leaving one camera guy and myself to run three cameras. I left one camera on a wide shot and the other I walked around with which worked out great but it left me in a position to where I couldn't direct the other camera person on shots I wanted.  This brings me to the second factor I mentioned earlier. The other camera person did a good job but the quality of video was not as great as hoped. The Kodak camera does not have a manual focus setting so there were times where the camera automatically focused footage and the digital zoom caused the close up shots to be grainy. These issues left me to be extremely picky on clips and being limited on space on the iPhone led to not enough shots to make a good multi-shot video.

With a possible predicament on my hands I had to make some editing decisions about the videos I was creating for the live DVD. I used whatever footage I had that was good to create the videos and used techniques that I have learned over the years to clean up as much of the footage as possible. I have referenced VideoMaker's website numerous times in this blog but for good reason it is a wonderful resource to have on hand when you need it like working with bad footage. The lesson I learned through this process is that planning is good for a project but to make the planning worth while you should consider every possible scenario there is to ensure a successful outcome.

2 comments:

  1. In regards to preparing for the next service you have to video tape, what are some things that you would do differently? I understand how it feels to have a video project that is due and having the min people back out at the last minute. I do think what helped me, and what can help anyone, is having multiple backups. You should have your main people that will be video taping, but also teach others to use the same equipment. I have started teaching some children at my church how to use the sound and video equipment at the church so I am not the only one doing both, and I am able to oversee it bing done. Having multiple people ready to do the job will ensure that you are able to get the job done without stress, or with less stress. I chose to teach the kids at my church (though I taught some of the adults as well) because they are always the most eager to be involved, they learn quickly, and they love technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    When I read this post I felt your pain. I have also had issues with using different cameras on a shoot, but my issues were slightly different than yours. Last year my partner and I were asked to video a stage play for DVD and we had never done it before. We had 2 Canon 60D’s that we had access to and we had to rent a third camera for the middle shot. We assumed that since we were using a Canon for the 3rd camera as well, we wouldn’t have any issue with the footage matching up. Unfortunately, we were sadly mistaken. The camera that we rented was not a DSLR, it was strictly a video camera. Although all the cameras had HD capability, we had issues with the coloring between the cameras and the video camera footage not being as crisp as the others. We had no idea about the number of issues we could have with the camera footage not looking the same, but that experience helped us learn.

    We had to call a couple friends and do some research online to see how to get the footage as similar as possible, but after a good bit of work we were able to complete it. We found that YouTube can be a very helpful resource for video editing as well. However, you do have to sift through quite a few videos until you find what you need. Here is the link to one video explaining and demonstrating color correction that I found pretty insightful: http://youtu.be/Lumz0GXTtXE. In the future we plan to make sure that the settings in all cameras are the same and that we film using a neutral profile. That way we’ll be able to adjust the color in post.

    Thanks again for your post, it was a great read!

    ReplyDelete